Tag Archives: 1950s

Scarab Antiques

This is a really lovely pedestal bowl that was made by Jean Wilkinson in 2011. The pedestal has a round graduated domed base with a funnel shaped stem supporting a deep plenished silver bowl. The wide flat plique a jour rim is decorated with 4 opalescent white plique a jour crescent moons, 8 turquoise & cobalt blue plique a jour bats and 4 peridot green plique a jour cobwebs. The inside rim of the foot is hallmarked by the London Assay Office for silver, 2011 and bears the sponsor’s mark “JW” for Jean Wilkinson. £3500

Scarab Antiques

Specialising in art deco design, interiors, vintage watches, fine designer jewellery, silver and costume jewellery, studio/art glass, silverware and collectables.

Scarab Antiques will be exhibiting at the Rose Antiques Fairs York Racecourse Antiques Fair on the 8th and 9th June 2018.

For further information or to view, buy or pre-order any of the stunning items above see the Scarab Antiques web page at http://www.scarabantiques.com/ or  for an informal chat about any of Scarab Antiques stock items telephone +44 (0)208 133 5895.

 

TSV Antiques

19th century Moser Harrach Wine and Hock Set. Decorated with a green flash to the top, gold and platinum enameling in a classic stylised leaf form and are set with glass “jewels” The wine glasses extend from a gilt-edged foot to a stubby stem and then to a generous bowl, while the goblets stand taller, with hollow ridged stems. 14 and 18cm high

Barbara and Ian of TSV Antiques have well over 20 years experience in the antiques trade. They are based in Hampshire and deal in a range of high quality antiques including jewellery, objets-de-virtu, silver, scent bottles, decanters, snuff boxes, ceramics, costume jewellery, glass, bronzes, lighting and practical home-wares.

TSV Antiques will be exhibiting at the York Racecourse Antiques Decorative and Fine Art Fair on the 8th 9th June 2018.

For further information about stock visit, TSV Antiques at https://tsvantiques.co.uk/welcome-to-tsv-antiques/ or email TSV Antiques at info@tsvantiques.co.uk.

Deco Dave

Deco Dave

Pair of green Bakelite and chrome table lamps with superb frosted shades. £595

Specialising in vintage, retro & mid century modern decorative table, wall & ceiling lighting, Art Deco & modernist decorative table, wall & ceiling lighting along Deco clocks, mirrors and other Art Deco works of virtue.

Deco Dave will be exhibiting at the Rose Antiques Fairs York Racecourse Antiques Fair on the 8th and 9th June 2018.

For further information or to view, buy or pre-order any of the stunning items above see the Deco Dave web page at http://www.decodave.com or e-mail Deco Dave at decodave@ntlworld.com.  For an informal chat about any of Deco Dave stock items telephone 07702323217.

Balmain Antiques

Balmain Antiques, dealers in fine art, bronzes, 20th century glass, Beatles memorabilia and other interesting and unusual antiques

Balmain Antiques

Dealer in fine art, bronzes, 20th century glass, Beatles memorabilia and other interesting and unusual antiques.

Balmain Antiques will be exhibiting at the Rose Antiques Fairs York Racecourse Antiques Decorative and Fine Art Fair on the 8-9 June 2018.

For further information about any of the items displayed on this page, e-mail Balmain Antiques at keithdenny@hotmail.com

 

Rose Antiques Fairs York Racecourse Antiques, Decorative and Fine Art Fair 8 – 9 June 2018

York Racecourse Antiques Decorative and Fine Art Fair – Entry £5

Rose Antiques Fairs Ltd was established to provide York with an annual high quality, dealer led antiques fair.  Our first fair was held at The University of York in June 2015, and we moved to York Racecourse (Postcode YO23 1EX) in 2016 to allow the fair to double in size. Since then the fair has grown to become one of the largest high quality fully stand fitted decorative antiques fairs in Yorkshire, making it a must visit event for any antiques or interior design enthusiast.

The next fair will be held at York Racecourse on Friday 8th – Saturday 9th June 2018. Spread over two floors, there will be an extensive collection of antiques, fine art and decorative wares from the medieval to the modern day.

The fair will be a real day out, and will host a selling exhibition of Blue John jewellery by Treakcliff Cavern, Castleton, Derbyshire, along with a series of lectures. Check the website for the full program and times.

The Fair will open at 10am and close at 5pm on both the Friday and the Saturday.

Entrance is £5 per person

There is ample free parking at the venue.

 

Directions to York Racecourse YO23 1EX

Head towards York along the A64. Take the A1036 (Tadcaster Road) into York and continue towards York.  After approximately 1.8 miles turn right into Knavesmire Road.Continue along Knavesmire Road into Campleshon Road. The carpark will be on the right just as you turn into Campleshon Road.

Selection stands at the 2017 Rose antiques fairs York racecourse antiques Decorative and Fine art fair

Selection of stands at the 2017 Rose Antiques Fairs Ltd York Racecourse Antiques Decorative and Fine Art Fair.

Press Release

Art & Antique Dealers building on York’s reputation as The Cultural Capital of The North

York Antiques Fair

InstagramFacebook-icon

Rose Antiques Fairs York Racecourse Antiques, Decorative & Fine Art Fair, 8th and 9th June 2018

York Antiques FairUp to 70 top dealers over two floors with quality antique maps, netsuke, silver, watches, fountain pens, 18th to 20th century ceramics, fine art, jewellery, arms and armour, country furniture, treen,  art nouveau, arts and crafts, art deco and decorative 20th century pieces.

Disabled access, free parking, on-site catering & talks/events

Opening Times

  • Friday 8 June 10am – 5pm
  • Saturday 9 June10am – 5pm

Entrance £5 per person.

Selection stands at the 2017 Rose antiques fairs York racecourse antiques Decorative and Fine art fair

Selection stands at the 2017 Rose antiques fairs York racecourse antiques Decorative and Fine art fair

Revue Thommen & The History of Vertex Watches

Revue Thommen & The History of Vertex watches

On of the pleasures of being in the antiques trade and specialising in vintage watches is that we occasionally come across the more unusual makes such as Vertex. Many collectors know very little about Thommens Uhrenfabrik AG, the company that made them.

The history of Thommens Uhrenfabrik AG goes back to 1853 and the establishment of the Societe d’Horlogerie à Waldenburg in Waldenburg Switzerland. The Societe  was later taken over by Louis Tschopp and Gédéon Thommen in 1859 and eventually fell under the sole ownership of Gédéon Thommen who renamed the company Gédéon Thommen – Uhrenfabrikation (Gédéon Thommen – Clockmaker). He, like many watch manufactures, started to build lever movements and developed a manufacturing process that allowed components to be precision made thus making parts exchangeable. By 1885 the company invented the “Springeruhr GT” Watch. During this period watch production steadily ramped up such that by 1890, when Alphonse Thommen took over ownership of the company because of his fathers unexpected death, the company was producing 13,000 watches per year. Under the direction of Alphonse the company was registered as the limited company Thommens Uhrenfabrik AG in 1905. He, then registered the trademark Revue to meet the increasing demand for wristwatches whilst opening additional factories in Waldenburg, gelterkinden and Langenbruck. By the 1930s the Vertex Watch Company (see Mikrolisk The Horological Trade mark Index)  had become the sole importers of Thommens Uhrenfabrik AG movements into the UK. (see Mikrolisk The Horological Trade mark Index).  According Mikrolisk the Vertex Watch Company was first registered on the 7 July 1916 in Pendulen; La Chaux-de-Fonds, Schweiz, 37 and 38 (Diamond House) at Hatton Garden, London and an office in Newbury England by Claude Lyons. Vertex initially imported complete watches from Switzerland, but later imported movements to be used in their own Bristish made gold cases. The cases of the latter were made by  A.L. Dennison in Hansworth, Birmingham until the production eventually moved to Shackman’s of Chesham.

Vertex Watches Figure 1Early wristwatches were very functional, most consisted of a modified pocket watch with simple wire lugs. However, by the 1920s and early 1930s watches were becoming heavily influenced by the art deco styles. Thus Thommens Uhrenfabrik AG started to make some really very striking art deco design timepieces such as the unusual bow shaped Vertex gentleman’s  watch in Figure 1. Unfortunately the economic crash of the 1930s hit watch making hard, but Thommens Uhrenfabrik AG responded by establishing the company Thommen which manufactured aviation navigational instruments and time pieces, many of which were bought by the British and German armed forces.

Towards the end of WW2 Vertex along withVertex watches Figure 2 11 other watch manufacturers (The so called “Dirty Dozen”) was invited by the British War Department to produce Wristwatch, Waterproof (WWW) military watches (Figure 2). These watches all adhered to the same specifications; a clear luminous dial, an accurate 15 jewel movement, a subsidiary second hand, a shatterproof Perspex crystal and a tough waterproof case. Strangely, these watches were not shock-proofed. The vertex version was fitted with the robust Review Thommen Cal59 movement. WWW watches are now becoming increasingly valuable as they steadily disappear into private collections. Post WW2 in the 1950s, Vertex used this link with military watches as a component of their advertising campaigns in the UK implying that their watches were accurate and durable (Figure 3).

Vertex watches Figure 3Thommens Uhrenfabrik AG continued developing new watch movements for domestic use and for use by Vertex in the UK during the 1950s and early 1960s with the GT 82, GT44, GT54, GT56, GT12 and GT14, however in 1961 MSR Holding was founded (Manufactures d’Horlogeries Suisses Réunies. This consortium consisting of the Phenix Watch Company, Revue Thommen, Vulcain and Buser Freres & Co aimed at rationalising watch production in an attempt reduce manufacturing costs and so enhance profitability. In this consortium Vulcain was responsible for commercialising the products, whilst Revue Thommen was responsible for manufacturing parts and, Phenix was responsible for assembly.  MSR Holding continued operations right the way through until its dissolution in 2000, however, Revue Thommens are still making high quality sporting watches to this day.

History of the Timor Watch Company

Military watches have become very collectable over the past few years, especially those especially those made specifically for the British War Department towards the end of WW2. These watches were all marked WWW for Wristwatch Waterproof and all had to meet very strict specifications. The watches had to have black luminous dials, highly accurate 15 jewel movements housed in a rugged shock resistant waterproof case with a screw in back and a Dial positioned beneath a perspex shatterproof crystal. The war department gave the contract to make these watches to 12 Swiss watch manufacturers the so called “Dirty Dozen”. The Dirty Dozen included well-known brands including Cyma, Eterna Buren, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Lemania, Longines, IWC, Omega and Record along with some lesser known brands including Grana, Timor (Figure 1) and Vertex. Of this later group, information about the Timor watch company is very scarce.

Figure 1 Timor Military WatchThe Timor Watch Co.SA was first registered by Bernheim and Luthy (Bernhiem & Co) in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland on the 30th may 1923 and was then later registered in 1927 in La Chaux-de-Fonds and Montilier. Switzerland (see Mikrolisk The Horological Trade Index) It seems that the company assembled watches from ebauches and cases supplied by other watch manufacurers and case makers. However, by 1939 Timor had developed and started to make its own high quality lever movement in their Montilier factory. The majority of the Timor watches were manufactured for export to England and the US. As a result of this Timor became an obvious choice for the British War Department as a supplier of wristwatch waterproof timepieces for the British military. The military watches they produced were very robust and fitted with the sturdy Timor Cal. 6060 movement, which was based on a highly modified A. Schild 1203 movement (Figure 2a).Figure 2 Timor 6060 Cal. Movement

Figure 3 1952 Timor 9ct Gold WatchPost war Timor seemed to use 17 jewel AS 1200 movements in their manual wind watches (Figure 2b). These watches, because of strong advertising campaigns, brand awareness related to the military connection and the rather catchy “trust Timor it’s tested” punch line acquire some popularity. During the 1950s Timor produced a range of watches in stainless steel, gold filled and solid gold (Figure 3) cases including the Voxor alarm watch fitted with the famed A. Schild 1475 Cal. movement. Post 1960 the Timor watch company seemed to steadily decline and disappear into obscurity.

 

Sir James Travis-Clegg, His Son and the Provenance of an Edwardian Silver Card Case.

Born James Clegg at Moorfield House in 1874, Sir James Travis-Clegg was the son of the cotton mill owner John Travis Clegg. On his father’s death in 1895, James Clegg changed his name by deed poll to Travis Clegg. On  1st October the following year, his wife Ada Roy (Lady Travis Clegg) gave birth to their only child Godfrey Roy Travis-Clegg.

James Clegg became a member of Crompton Urban District Council where he was the Chairman from 1902-1904. He also bought Whalley Abbey in 1900. At about the same time (1898) he was elected as the Crompton representative to Lancashire County Council where he served for many years eventually becoming the Chairman of Lancashire County Council. In 1923 he sold Whalley Abbey to the church and moved to Bailrigg House, which is now Lancaster University Health Centre. As Chairman of the County Council he oversaw numerous large projects including the expansion of Edge Hill College in Ormskirk where he laid the foundation stone of the main building in 1931. In 1933 he was knighted, becoming Sir James Travis-Clegg and he went on to serve as Constable of Lancashire. He eventually retired in 1937 and died in 1942. His picture still hangs in the Lancashire County Council Hall.

So where does an Ed1903 Silver Card Case, Prevenance whalley Abbeywardian Silver card case fit into this? Some time during the 1900-1923 period it seems that Ada and James gave their son Godfrey a beautiful patented silver card case inscribed with his monogram along with the date 1st October (Figure 1). This may of coincided with Godfrey Joining the army to go to war sometime around 1914-16. Godfrey survived WW1, was mentioned in his father’s will and later died himself in 1967. However, the card case survived intact and undamaged with the original name cards for Mr G R Travis-Clegg, The Abbey Whalley. What is interesting about this is that the name cards were later changed by the original address being crossed out and replaced with the hand written name Bailrigg. This modification obviously occurred when the family moved from Whalley to Bailrigg in 1923.