York Racecourse Antiques Decorative and Fine Art Fair – Entry £5
Rose Antiques Fairs Ltd was established to provide York with an annual high quality dealer led antiques fair. Our first fair was held at The University of York in June 2015, and moved in 2016 to York Racecourse (PostcodeYO23 1EX) to allow the fair to double in size. Since then the fair has grown to become the largest high quality stand fitted fair in Yorkshire, making it a must visit event for any antiques enthusiast.
The next fair will be held York Racecourse on Friday the 8th and Saturday 9th of June 2018 and is expected to occupy two floors with an extensive collection of antiques, fine art and decorative wares from virtually every genre of antiques from virtually every era from the the 16th century through to the 1970s.
In 2018 the fair will also be home to a selling exhibition of Blue John jewellery by Treakcliff Cavern, Castleton, Derbyshire.
The Fair will open for business at 10am and close at 5pm on both the Friday and the Saturday. Entrance is £5 per person and there is ample free parking at the venue.
Directions to York Racecourse YO23 1EX
Head towards York along the A64. Take the A1036 (Tadcaster Road) into York and continue towards York. After approximately 1.8 miles turn right into Knavesmire Road.Continue along Knavesmire Road into Campleshon Road. The carpark will be on the right just as you turn into Campleshon Road.
Selection of stands at the 2017 Rose Antiques Fairs Ltd York Racecourse Antiques Decorative and Fine Art Fair.
Up to 70 top dealers over two floors with quality antique maps, netsuke, silver, watches, fountain pens, 18th to 20th century ceramics, fine art, jewellery, arms and armour, country furniture, treen, art nouveau, arts and crafts, art deco and decorative 20th century pieces.
Pottery was initially manufactured by Joseph Flint near Swinton in Yorkshire on land rented from the Marquis of Rockingham in 1745. However the business passed to an Edward Butler who in turn sold it to William Malpass in 1765. He went into collaboration with the glass manufacturer William Fenney and together, they started to make high quality whiteware and cream enameled wares from good quality clays imported from Cornwall and Kent. The company thrived, becoming Bingley, Wood & co and it was then taken over by the Leeds Pottery in 1787. However the Leeds pottery interest in the company waned, and by 1806 the company was under the direction of the father and son team John and William Brameld. They continued making good creamware pottery marked with an impressed Brameld Mark and also more durable stoneware and pearlware pottery. The latter was decorated with transfer prints and became quite popular. Unfortunately the Bramelds were not financially aware and the company fell into difficult times, running up debts of about £220,000. However, they secured loans from Earl Fitzwilliam, heir to the Marquis of Rockingham. This funding allowed them to start making fine white soft paste porcelain formed from a combination of bone ash, Cornish stone and china clay.
Between 1826 and 1830 in recognition of the Earl’s support, the company was renamed Rockingham and the company mark became the Griffin, which is the Rockingham family crest. The mark was applied in red to the base of items (Figure 1). Through the patronage of the Marquis of Rockingham, Rockingham porcelain came to the attention of the King (William VI) who ordered the now famed 200 piece Royal dinner service in 1830. Subsequent to this the Rockingham mark changed again from a red griffin to a griffin printed in puce with the legend “Manufacturer to the King” (Figure 2). The Porcelain produced by Rockingham was flamboyant, being heavily influenced by the rococo molded styles combined with vibrant colours and heavy gilding typical of the Regency/ late Georgian period. The ornamental pieces such as the stork handled vase (Figure 3) were really very imposing. The time and effort that went into the production of Rockingham porcelain was significant for example the 200 piece royal dinner service took eight years to complete and was eventually delivered to Queen Victoria. Although undertaking this work for the King led to a significant influx of orders from the aristocracy and wealthy middle classes, the extremely high quality of the products led to the company running at a significant loss. This along with the loss of the patronage from the new Earl Fitzwilliam resulted in the closure of the Rockingham potteries in 1841.
Rockingham porcelain remains highly collectable, the cup, saucers and smaller pieces are generally easier to source, although they are becoming steadily harder to find. However, larger Rockingham ornamental pieces are few and far between.