Category Archives: Bailrigg House

Rose Antiques Fairs York Racecourse Antiques, Decorative & Fine Art Fair, 8th and 9th June 2018

York Antiques FairUp to 70 top dealers over two floors with quality antique maps, netsuke, silver, watches, fountain pens, 18th to 20th century ceramics, fine art, jewellery, arms and armour, country furniture, treen,  art nouveau, arts and crafts, art deco and decorative 20th century pieces.

Disabled access, free parking, on-site catering & talks/events

Opening Times

  • Friday 8 June 10am – 5pm
  • Saturday 9 June10am – 5pm

Entrance £5 per person.

Selection stands at the 2017 Rose antiques fairs York racecourse antiques Decorative and Fine art fair

Selection stands at the 2017 Rose antiques fairs York racecourse antiques Decorative and Fine art fair

Sir James Travis-Clegg, His Son and the Provenance of an Edwardian Silver Card Case.

Born James Clegg at Moorfield House in 1874, Sir James Travis-Clegg was the son of the cotton mill owner John Travis Clegg. On his father’s death in 1895, James Clegg changed his name by deed poll to Travis Clegg. On  1st October the following year, his wife Ada Roy (Lady Travis Clegg) gave birth to their only child Godfrey Roy Travis-Clegg.

James Clegg became a member of Crompton Urban District Council where he was the Chairman from 1902-1904. He also bought Whalley Abbey in 1900. At about the same time (1898) he was elected as the Crompton representative to Lancashire County Council where he served for many years eventually becoming the Chairman of Lancashire County Council. In 1923 he sold Whalley Abbey to the church and moved to Bailrigg House, which is now Lancaster University Health Centre. As Chairman of the County Council he oversaw numerous large projects including the expansion of Edge Hill College in Ormskirk where he laid the foundation stone of the main building in 1931. In 1933 he was knighted, becoming Sir James Travis-Clegg and he went on to serve as Constable of Lancashire. He eventually retired in 1937 and died in 1942. His picture still hangs in the Lancashire County Council Hall.

So where does an Ed1903 Silver Card Case, Prevenance whalley Abbeywardian Silver card case fit into this? Some time during the 1900-1923 period it seems that Ada and James gave their son Godfrey a beautiful patented silver card case inscribed with his monogram along with the date 1st October (Figure 1). This may of coincided with Godfrey Joining the army to go to war sometime around 1914-16. Godfrey survived WW1, was mentioned in his father’s will and later died himself in 1967. However, the card case survived intact and undamaged with the original name cards for Mr G R Travis-Clegg, The Abbey Whalley. What is interesting about this is that the name cards were later changed by the original address being crossed out and replaced with the hand written name Bailrigg. This modification obviously occurred when the family moved from Whalley to Bailrigg in 1923.